1. Zachary Taylor served as the 12th president of America from March 1849 until his death in July 1850 and belonged to a military background before taking up presidency. He joined the army back in 1808 as a lieutenant and from that he served the army for 40 years.
2. He got married to Margaret Mackall Smith in 1810 and had 6 children among which his daughter, Sarah Knox Taylor married Jefferson Davis who later on would become the president of the Confederate States of America.
3. His military career consists of many wars including the War of 1812, the Black Hawk War in 1832 and the second of the Seminole Wars in Florida (1835-1842). He was promoted to brigadier general due to his leadership services in the Battle of Lake Okeechobee.
4. He played a vital role in the Mexican-American War when the annexation of Texas sparked conflict. Serving as the brigadier general he led his man to victory and was promoted to Major General by President James K. Polk.
5. He is known for winning the Mexican war when he defeated forces three times the size of his and this exact victory became the basis of him being elected as a potential candidate among the Whig circle for presidency.
6. Taylor joined the office in 1849 and during his brief period within the White House he was faced with many controversial problems one of them being the extension of slavery in the newly acquired territories of Mexico.
7. Taylor`s death was yet another controversy as he suddenly died in July of 1850, only 16 months after joining the office. The controversy revolved around the fact that he may be poisoned which was later disapproved.