“If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
In office : April 30, 1789 to March 4, 1797
Born : 22nd February, 1732 in Popes Creek, Colony of Virginia, British America
Died : 14th December, 1799 (aged 67) in Mount Vernon, Virginia, U.S.
Spouse(s) : Martha Dandridge
Parents : Augustine Washington and Mary Ball
Awards : Congressional Gold Medal
7 Interesting facts about George Washington :
1) George Washington was the 1st President of the United States from April30, 1789 to 4th March, 1797 and was the Founding Father of the United States and known as the “father of the country“.
2) Born , 22th of February 1732, Westmoreland County, Virginia, United States, served as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, and later presided over the 1787 convention that drafted the United States Contitution.
3) Washington was widely admired for his strong leadership qualities and was unanimously elected president by the Electoral College in the first two national elections.
4) He oversaw the creation of a strong, well-financed national government that maintained neutrality in the French Revolutionary Wars, suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion, and won acceptance among Americans of all types.
5) Washington’s incumbency established many precedents still in use today, such as the cabinet system, the inaugural address, and the title Mr. President.
6) He defeated the British in two battles (Trenton and Princeton), retook New Jersey, and restored momentum to the Patriot cause. His strategy enabled Continental forces to capture two major British army’s at Saratoga in 1777 and Yorktown in 1781.
7) He retired from the presidency in 1797, returning to his home and plantation at Mount Vernon. Due to Epiglottitis and hypovolemic shock he died on 14th December 1799.