1) George Walker Bush was the 43rd president of the United States from 2001 to 2009. He was also the 46th Governor of Texas from 1995 to 2000.
2) Bush was born on July 6, 1946 in New Haven, Connecticut. He was the first son of George Herbert Walker Bush, the 41st President of the United States and Barbara Bush.
3) Bush graduated from Yale University in 1968 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and attended Harvard Business School. He graduated in 1975 with an M.B.A. degree. He is the only U.S. president to have earned an M.B.A. Bush married Laura Welch in 1977 .
4) On September 11, 2001 a series of terrorist attacks occurred eight months into Bush’s first term as president. In response, Bush launched the global War on Terror – the war in Afganisthan launched in 2001 and the war in Iraq launched in 2003, what became known as the Bush Doctrine.
5) Bush received increasingly heated criticism from across the political spectrum for his handling of the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, and other challenges.
6) For national security issues, Bush promoted policies on the economy, education, health care, Social Security reform and amending the Constitution to disallow same-sex marriage. He signed into the No Child Left Behind Act, the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, law broad tax cuts, the Patriot Act, Medicare prescription drug benefits for seniors, and funding for the AIDS relief program known as PEPFAR.
7) President Bush was re-elected for a second term, and inaugurated January 20, 2005 and defeated Democratic challenger John Kerry, a U.S. senator from Massachusetts.