Full Name : Michael Warren Young
Nationality : American
Born : 28th March, 1949 in Miami, Florida, U.S.
Wife : Laurel Eckhardt
Fields : Biology and Chronobiology
Gruber Prize in Neuroscience in 2009
Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize in 2011
Massry Prize in 2012
Canada Gairdner International Award in 2012
Shaw Prize in Life Science and Medicine in 2013
Wiley Prize in Biomedical Sciences in 2013
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2017
7 Important Facts about Michael W Young :
Thirty Years of Dedication
– He has given his dedication over three decades in the research field for studying the genetically controlled patterns related to Drosophila Melanogaster. The research study of young is related to sleep and wakefulness within the Drosophila.
Immense Contribution In The Field Of Chronobiology
– The lab of Young’s at Rockefeller University has a significant influence in the chronology field. They have the credit of identifying the genes that are responsible for the regulation of the internal clock for the circadian rhythms.
Determined the Function Of Period Genes
– While carrying out his research young went further and was successful with the explanation of the function of period genes. The period genes are necessary for the fly to exhibit a regular cycle of sleep.
Credited for Discovering Couple of Genes further
– Young did not stop here he and his fellows are also responsible for the discovery of a couple of genes namely timeless and double-time. Both of the genes are responsible for making of proteins that have the necessity in circadian rhythm.
2017 Noble Prize Winner
– Young achieved the most magnificent milestone in his career by receiving the noble prize for discovering molecular mechanism that is responsible for controlling circadian rhythm. Along with young, Hall also shared the award in the field of Physiology or medicine.
Father of Two Daughters
– Young married his longtime girlfriend, laurel Eckhart. Both of them were a graduate student at the Texas University. Young got married to Laurel who is now a biology professor at Hunter College. Young and Laurel have two daughters together.
A Book Changed His Life
– during his childhood young received a book as a gift from his parents. The book was all about biological mysteries. The book was the turning point in Young’s career as he took the interest at an early age about the flowers that close at the daytime and open at night.